Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Thoughts on Marathons and Training for Running

This week I am taking a break from running, since I have a cold (sore throat, congested nose), and I have a hard time breathing. With Vegas coming up in less than three weeks, I am going to take it easy.
As I posted last week, I have a really hard time to motivate myself for the long runs. One of the reasons might be the time of the year. It's dark by 5:15PM right now, and I find it hard to get out even for shorter runs. If I should decide to train for another marathon, I will chose one earlier in the year.
Although I seem to need a break from running, and I am looking forward to a break in training between Dec. 8 and Dec. 20, I started researching other trainings plans. Up to now I used smartcoach from RunnersWorld.com, and was quite happy with it. The results were consistent when I used the training calculator on the webpage. I plugged in my 10k time, and it gave me a half marathon time, which was 7 seconds off... I think that's impressive!
However, I am not really happy with the plan for the marathon training, essentially it cut one workout and increases the mileage of the long run. Given the necessary time commitment, my motivation problems and the time of the year, this is not very satisfactory.

Earlier I had mentioned an interest in the Crossfit Endurance program. The shortm high intensity workouts seem very appealing, and actually remind me of the time I did Track and Field back in Germany. One big plus is the versatility of the program. It probably benefits my climbing as well as my running.

Further research today led me to Hal Higdon's site. He has a few programs, which look very interesting too.

It seems as if I have to do some more research, and come up with a plan for next year, before I decide on how to proceed.

P.S.: I definitely need to incorporate yoga into my regular schedule again!

No comments: