Thursday, April 16, 2009

Yosemite: Reed's and Pat & Jack's

After a long break from climbing outdoors I went to Yosemite with Clint this weekend.
We carpooled with Vince and Eu-Jin on Saturday morning and got to Reed's around 10AM.



While Vince and Eu-Jin started on Eujesta, Clint and I eyed the Regular Route on Reed's Pinnacle. I led the first pitch, but freaked out two moves below the belay... Unbelievable!
After trying different options I lowered off. Clint led on the the chains at the end of the second pitch, on a huge ledge.


Here we had the option to either continue through the big chimney, or to lower off. (Continuing on Reed's Direct did not seem appealing.) Clint led the squeeze section as shown below... Unfortunately I got stuck following him. It was possible to get either my hips or my chest through the narrow section, but not both... We had to reverse our steps and lower off the chains after all.Back on the ground we went over to Ejesta, where I led the first pitch, and Clint the second.

Sunday's goal was Pat & Jack's Pinnacle.
Here I started out leading the bolted line left of Suds. It's a pretty new route, not featured in a guide book. Next was the semi bolted line right of Suds. I only took draws, since I did not realize that I'd need gear on the upper part. Reaching the last bolt I lowered off and Clint finished off the climb. Next was Makayla's Climb. Led it with a small hang at the 3rd bolt.
To finish off the day Clint led Boneheads with an alternate start avoiding the slippery face moves down low. I TR'ed afterwards.

Pretty cool trip! A nice way to get back into climbing outdoors... Last year around this time I had spent 3 days in J-Tree and a few days at the Pinnacles already... Hope things will pick up from here!

No comments: