Saturday, February 28, 2009

Juana Run 09

It's amazing to see that races still keep my inner alarm clock set. Although my alarm was set for 6:30 I woke up half an hour early feeling quite good. Meaning way better than the previous mornings where I had to fight the symptoms of my cold quite badly. The stretching during the last few days also seems to have worked, since my quads felt a lot better too. So things seemed to be on track for the Juana Run 2009. It is a five mile race and the first race of the Palo Alto Grand Prix series.
After I picked up my bib and the goodie bag, I jogged about a mile and stretched before I went to the start area. Just after 8:30 the gun went off and a few hundred runners set out for the course. Due to my cold I was aiming for a 7:30 pace, which would put me to the finish line at 37:30. The first mile felt pretty hard, actually the whole race felt pretty hard, except for the stretch between mile 2.5 and mile 3. I was really looking forward to the final stretch... After 37:00 I crossed the finish line and was rather glad I was done. Even a little faster than aimed for.
A pancake breakfast was waiting for all the finishers. A yummy finale for a tough, but nice morning.

Official time: 37:02
28/59 in age group
167 overall

No comments: