Friday, April 18, 2008

Tioga Pass opening date

One of the big questions of spring is: "When will Tioga Pass be opened up for traffic?" or in other terms, "When will it be possible to climb in Tuolumne Meadows?".

I can't wait for the pass to open, since Tuolumne is my favorite climbing area. A look at my tick list reveals several routes I want to do in the area... And there's not only rock climbing. I'd love to do some backpacking in the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne and in Lyell Canyon. Then there's mountaineering in the backcountry as well...so many things to do!
On top of all that HW 120 is the easiest, fastest access to the Eastern Sierras...another huge playground!

But when does it open???

As of yesterday, there's 20" of snow left, the road is cleared to Ellery Lake from the East Side...
and the gas station is scheduled to open on May 22.
Let's hope for the best!

UPDATES found here...

No comments: