Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sunol Wilderness

Today I managed to got lost in my 'backyard'.

OK, backyard is a little exagerated, since I'd never been to the Sunol Wilderness before, although it's only 45 minutes from my place. I took the trail to the 'Little Yosemite' area and continued on along the canyon, as I planned to take the Backpack Road Trail to the ridge, following the ridge back to the parking lot.
Along the way I came across the sign below:

A 'Rock Scramble' of course I couldn't pass on this!
The 'trail' essentially followed a creek bed up the hill. At some point it was supposed to cross the trail I originally wanted to take...
I followed the creek bed until I saw a path crossing the ravine. Here I took a left turn, bushwacked a little (through poison oak, fortunately I was fine!) and found myself here:


In the middle of a hill with no trail what so ever. I followed a cow trail...
Since I didn't feel like retracing my steps through the poison oak I gained the ridge here and fortunately found the trail on the other side of the ridge...

A nice, adventurous 8-mile outing on a Sunday afternoon.

No comments: