Friday, January 30, 2009

Trainings notes

For the coming Fridays I'll try to summarize the past weeks activities and workouts. Mostly to keep track of things.

This week stood out a bit, since it was pretty much the first 'regular' week at home since mid-December. So much of it was used to get back into the rythm of daily life.

Despite a cold I managed to go to the gym on Saturday. Did a few climbs -on which I felt very weak, really struggling on a 10c- and 90 minutes of yoga, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I felt the benefits of the core workouts I had done in Germany and New Mexico.
Sunday I did a quick 5.5 mile hike at Wunderlich County Park, which inspired me to watch 'The Fellowship of the Ring'... and that was the rest of the day :-)
Tuesday was the first day of the 18-week marathon training plan. Based on my experience in Las Vegas I decided against going with the Crossfit Endurance plan and for the Inermediate-I Marathon Plan from Hal Hidgeon. Back in Vegas I hit the wall, or better my legs hit the wall, exactly a mile further than my longest run was. I blame to little mileage, hence the plan with a higher mileage. The Intermediate I plan starts with 24 miles/week and peaks at 44 miles/week.
Also I'll run 5 days a week compared to 3 days as I did before Vegas following the RW smartcoach.
Anyway, the first run on Tuesday was a really mellow 3 miles on the SCT. Afterwards I did a short workout on the Rock Rings in the backyard.
Wednesday saw the second run, it called for 5 miles, I did 5.3 on the SCT.
The third run was scheduled for Thursday. I ran the 3 miles on the treadmill at PG Belmont. Something remarkable about this: It was the first run on a treadmill I actually enjoyed! Funny. The second part of the Thursday workout consisted of bouldering. For the first five minutes I stayed on the wall without a break, doing a bunch of consecutive V0's and V1's. Following this I tried to do through problems quickly to work on strength and stamina. The 'Boulder Rating' for the evening was 22 (or 23 don't remember exactly).
Today is a rest day.
The plans for the weekend include a 5 mile run at marathon goal pace on Saturday and a long run of 8 miles on Sunday. The later one will probably be at Rancho San Antonio. I'll also try to get some yoga and climbing in tomorrow afternoon.

Oh, yes, I signed up for the San Diego RnR Marathon in May...
There's also some preliminary talk about a climbing trip to Red Rocks in March.

No comments: