Thursday, February 28, 2008

Carlsbad, NM

Ok, as mentioned before the town of Carlsbad sucks.
No questions about that.

BUT, just after I wrote the post about New Mexico, I got my hands on a copy of the 'newspaper' of the Carlsbad Caverns National Park. It had some amazing information about guided tours through the caverns lasting between 2 and 4 hours, involving squeezing, etc. That definitely sounds like a lot of fun! The same publication had some info about the Guadalupe Mountain National Park, which seems to have some interesting hiking. I passed through GMNP on my way from Carlsbad back to the airport in El Paso, TX. I eyed the cliff of I guess Guadalupe Peak for quite a while...I was wondering if there are some routes up that face. It would be a waste if not!
The NPS webpage says, that rockclimbing is rarely done, due to the "limestone character" of the rock. Hey, the whole Dolomites are made from limestone. Does that keep people from climbing there? More to investigate!

One really cool thing about Carlsbad was the full lunar eclipse, which was perfectly visible, while it was hidden behind the clouds in the Bay Area... I don't know yet if the pictures I took turned out well. If so, I'll post them soon.

No comments: