Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Hardest things I have done

Finishing my first marathon last Sunday brought up a question I had pondered about a few times over the past year: What is the hardest thing I've ever done? Thing meaning athletic/ adventurous endeavour. I am actually having a hard time coming up with things. Sure, the marathon was hard, it wore out my legs, and I cramped a lot, but endurance-wise I could have gone further. So what qualifies as hard? The amount of excertion during the activity? The time it takes to recover from the activity? The rating of the climb? I don't know.

Here's a few candidates though:
  • North Ridge of Mt. Conness with a late start and getting lost on the way back to the car
  • Mt. Shasta
  • Mt. Diablo 25K
  • Las Vegas Marathon
Huh, looking at this list, it's all things were either something went wrong and/or I was not prepared well enough.
  • On Conness we had a late start, and both our headlamps died.
  • On Shasta I didn't eat properly.
  • Before Mt. Diablo I didn't run any hills, especially no downhills.
  • Before Vegas I was sick and didn't stick to the long runs according to my plan.
There's a lesson to be learned I guess...

No comments: