Sunday, July 27, 2008

Brutal!

Just got back from the gym, where I tried two new training methods I found online in one session...

Well, the one was bouldering, which was intended as a warm-up, the other a WOD posted here.
The bouldering followed a point system though. Before the workout one picks a number, say 20, and the climbs as many boulders until the V-ratings add up to the chosen number. So 20 V1's, 10 V2's, 6 V3's and 2 V2's, etc. pretty fun... and a nice way to quantify bouldering, which was always a problem for me... Too bad V0's don't count at all, neither do failed attempts.
It took me the better part of an hour to reach 15. Didn't manage to finish a single V3... Bummer!

The WOD was last week Wednesdays:
Finding the one-rep max for the bench press: 1-1-1-1-1-1-1
followed be three rounds for time of:
  • 500m row
  • 15 bench press 95#
  • 15 pull ups
This was the first time I did bench presses since spring 2005. So I didn't have an idea on where to start. The series was 135-155-155f-135-145-145-155-165f
Surprisingly that's not too far of my PR from way-back-when (I played football and was a fair bit heavier than I am now (198 vs. 180). So the goal is obvious...press body weight...without bulking up!!!
The three rounds were quite tough! I am glad my new roomie Albert joined me, otherwise I probably wouldn't have finished this one...Time: 21:59.

I hope I am not too sore tomorrow, when I'm meeting Ben for some climbing!

No comments: