Sunday, June 21, 2009

Mountain biking

My last post about mountain biking was not really enthusiastic. The problem was that I joined some veteran riders on a trail, which is beyond my capabilities. As I see it I had two choices... either don't bike with them anymore, or get better on the bike.

Since I had some free time on my hand in the last few weeks and I'm still not comfortable running that much after spraining my ankle, I worked on option 2.
In the last 3/4 weeks I rode at Arastradero Open Space once or twice a week. Arastradero is easy to reach and features some real easy trails with a few technical spots like narrow switchbacks and steep drops. After the first rides, in which I got familiar with the terrain I improved every time I went there, and by the end mastered things like the switchbacks without any problems. I also freaked less on steep descents, and hopped over some bumps with both wheels catching air. Actually very fun!

A few weeks ago Dan took my to Soquel Demo Forrest. I had a blast! After the climb up and the ride along the Ridge Trail we took Tractor Trail down to the Valley again... It was the easy way, but just the right thing for me at the moment. I'll keep working on my skills and make it to the harder trails eventually.

No comments: